Sunday, August 30, 2020

Man's Best Friend

 Like Karen Blixen reminiscing in "Out of Africa" with the opening lines 'I had a house in Africa at the foot of Ngong hills', I want to say "I had a dog of my own, longtime back......" I don't have a dog now. Maybe someday. But I do have memories of a few I was close to.

Moti (Pearl) was a community dog. He belonged to no-one in particular yet he belonged to everyone in our Wada/ Chawl in Pune. I don't remember this but I have anecdotes of me, as a toddler, poking my fingers into Moti's eyes and him just shifting a bit away, but not once getting annoyed or agitated by it. His days during the week as to the go-to family for meals were sort of fixed. Daytime with some families, every night at Joshi's home for milk-poli except on Thursdays. That day of week was my father's day off and we had mutton for dinner so Moti was our guest of honor for the delicacies of leftover bones etc. Every once in a while, there would be news going around that the municipality 'bevarshi shwan pathak' van picked up Moti and someone from the building would go to get him liberated, claiming ownership. Why someone didn't adopt him officially I don't know. But the fact that he was freed and brought back every time, showed his worth to all of us. I don't remember distinctly what happened to him. The building was demolished years back, a modern business complex sitting in its place now on FC Road. Hopefully he died in peace before that, his soul resting in peace.

Jedi was mine. He came to our home, in my college years, just a few weeks old. A chubby, cuddly puppy, with shiny brown coat, that I fed milk to and coaxed to sleep on my lap. He was a mix of some sort, breeds and all that stuff not a common knowledge among us back home then. His coat, ears and body structure made it clear he had some pedigree rather than being just a mongrel. I had just watched Star Wars movies and chose Jedi as his name. But we referred to him as JD (as in the initials). 

He would recognize my bike from far away and was ready to give his highly enthusiastic welcome (jumping and licking all over my face ) whenever I came home from outside. Once in a while when he somehow got loose, he would roam around the neighborhood, exploring the "gali ki kudiyan" and getting in fights with his competitors. Coming home was a bit hilarious affair, tail under his butt, head down, his behavior was like an errant child saying sorry, while I scolded and washed the mud off him. The bonding of love and friendship lasted for a few years, then for some logistical reasons we had to give him away to someone. It was a mistake I regret to this day. 

Sunny was our friend's, Sapre's dog. I came to know him early on, while we used to have Natak practices at their home. Thanks to Jedi I am comfortable around dogs and like to pet them. Sunny loved the nuzzling/ neck rub, laying down on his back and poking with his paws, asking for more, if I stopped. My relationship with him was somewhat like a visiting grandparent or uncle, not being the primary caregiver but an occasional visitor who will pamper you. Rarely had I visited Sapre's without being greeted by Sunny, without the rub atleast once. While his end was a tragic loss to all of us, I was glad I got a chance to say a proper goodbye to him before he left for wherever angels reside. 

Just a day or two back I was at my friend Prashant's house and while petting JJ, I suddenly realized I was calling him Sunny. A disrespect to JJ but I am sure he understands the feelings. I just need to move on and build more such friendships with these loving, loyal beings.

PS- Apart from the recent International Dog Day, these memories might also been triggered by a wonderful novel I read recently "The Friend" by Sigrid Nunez.

Suresh Nair

Aug 30, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment

ये पावसा

ये पावसा मेघांचा रथ करुनी भेटून जा तू आनंदे बरसोनी  संकेत देई माती मृदगंध शिंपडूनी  वाराही गाई गाणी येणार तू म्हणोनी सृष्टीच आहे सारी तुजसाठ...